The final part of the 2012 goal setting/budget planning process suggests that each leadership team publish quarterly updates on progress for each of their major goals. Following through on this part of the process is important-it promotes increased openness and transparency, it strengthens accountability and trust between the project's leadership and the community, and it recognizes the volunteer contributors who are the most important resource for our project's continued growth and success.
This post gives a summary of progress that was made during the third quarter for Open Source Matters' (OSM) four major 2012 goals, along with the names of key contributors for each of the items. Sincerest thanks go out to everyone who contributed to the progress that was made on these goals during the third quarter!
Here are blogs summarizing OSM quarterly goal updates from earlier this year:
Steady progress on these goals has continued during the fourth quarter, and we hope to publish another blog with those updates by early February 2013.
Simplify Trademark rules and team processes
- Recruiting new volunteers for the Trademark team (Jacques Rentzke, Dianne Henning)
- Updating some of the Joomla! logos (Sully Sullivan, Pawel Borowicz)
- Moving forward on launching a new Trademark & License information web site, along with the launch of a new Open Source Matters web site. (Jacques Rentzke, Matthew Philogene, Pedro Gonçalves, Alice Grevet, Dianne Henning)
- Discussions with team managers/leads to find ways to make integrate the Trademark process better into their processes.
- Dealing with a Trademark submissions backlog. (Jacques Rentzke, Trademark Team)
- Facilitated the clarification of some licensing questions. (Jacques Rentzke, SFLC)
- Work on a content/video contributor agreement for content hosted on our Youtube Channel to avoid any legal risks. (Paul Orwig, Jacques Rentzke, Alice Grevet, WTP)
Reduce communication channels and improve public facing communications processes
- Provided PR outreach to Chicago Joomla Day
- Continue to grow JParty! and J en Espanol
- Organized Harvard Berkman Event
- Coordinate, develop content, conduct interviews for major media outlets:
- Network World
- Cult of Mac
- CMS Critic
- CMS Wire
- InfoTech World
- Campus Technology
- Fierce Content Management
Research and implement plan to increase sponsorship income by $20,000 from 2011
- Added banner ad to main downloads page (Paul Orwig)
- Analyzed top opportunities for new banner ad placements (Mike Carson)
Launch first Joomla! World Conference and improve support for Joomla! Days
- Provided PR outreach to Joomla Day Chicago, USA
- Provided PR outreach to Joomla Day Germany
- Provided PR outreach to Joomla Day Denmark
- Provided PR outreach to Joomla Day New York, USA
- Publish a draft version of the conference agenda (Brian Teeman)
- Working on designs for T-Shirts, Bags, …. (Kyle Ledbetter, Mathias Jensen)
- Plan the Video recording environment (Jeremy Wilken)
- Spread the word over social media channels (TJ Baker, RT all)
- Created a list of session descriptions and speakers bios (Brian Teeman)
- Help attendees with specific inqueries (Jon Neubauer)
- Make sure that we have what we need: T-Shirts, Bags, … (Robert Deutz)
- Stay in Contact with sponsors (Martijn Boomsma)
- Work on the program book (Mathias Jensen, Martijn Boomsma, Brian Teeman, Robert Deutz)
- Working on maintaining the conference Website (Ronni K.G. Christiansen, Kyle Ledbetter)
- Transfer the responsibiltiy for the events.joomla.org site and the events approval to the new Events Team Leader (Robert Deutz, Paulo Griiettner)
Work on other OSM led initiatives
While the primary focus for this blog is on progress made during the second quarter on OSM's four major 2012 goals, work has also been underway on a number of other important OSM led initiatives. Here is a list of some of these other initiatives, along with the OSM board members who worked on them during the first quarter:
- Moving forward on plans for Joomla certification program (Leonel Canton)
- Expand focus of new OSM Project Manager role (Ofer Cohen)
- Work on Joomla Association proposal (Paulo Griiettner)
- Begin transition of Joomla shop to OSM Capital team (Dianne Henning).
- Improve multi-language support for Joomla software and OSM website (Marijke Stuivenberg, Jacques Rentzke).
- Improve support for different aspects of internationalization (Marijke Stuivenberg, Javier Gomez, Paulo Griiettner).
- Coordinate improvements to the free demo program (Marijke Stuivenberg).
Please join the OSM Third Quarter 2012 Goal Updates discussion and share your questions and comments.