Andrea Tarr

Abstract

Joomla! 1.5 made great strides in accessibility in the frontend. It is important that Joomla! 1.6 do the same for the backend. The primary goal of this project is to bring the Administrator into compliance with accessibility standards. An accessible administrator template will be created along with an accessible menu module. This will also entail work on the refactoring of the backend.

Synopsis

• Create an accessible administrator template
  • Create an accessible administrator menu module
  • Complete the following MVC work on given backend components:
    • Move all remaining HTML code to layout files
    • Make those layout files accessible
    • Make the Javascript unobtrusive and accessible
    • Implement the new forms engine in the layout files with the corresponding work in models files
  • Change the existing administrator template and the new accessible admin template as necessary to work with the new MVC'd layout files

Benefits to the Community

Having an accessible backend out of the box would open Joomla! up to a wider audience. People with disabilities need to access the backend just as much as they do the frontend. Accessibility is required in some projects and that will only increase with time.

Currently there are few templates for the backend. This project would enable developers to create a backend that fits better with the look and feel of the frontend. Because of all the documentation that exists using the current backend, the basic structure will remain the same.…

Read more: Accessible Administrator Template Project Plan ...

I am working on a second Master’s at the Marlboro College Graduate School in Brattleboro, Vermont while doing IT consulting as Tarr Consulting in Belchertown, Massachusetts. I got into computers when I was a librarian back in the late 70’s by taking home a self-study guide to the IBM System-32/34…

Read more: Andrea Tarr ...