Over the past few months, the JED Team has been working on a revised draft of the JED Terms of Service. This draft is below. One main goal of this draft was to simplify the previous terms of service. We are seeking feedback from the community. You can comment on the Terms of Service Draft #1 here.
Joomla! Extensions Directory Terms of Service
The Joomla! Extensions Directory (JED) is a free service provided to the Joomla community. By using the JED, you are agreeing to the following terms of service. Open Source Matters (OSM) has the right, in its sole discretion, to revise, change and update the terms of service at any time without notice.
OSM and its content providers, own the copyright and all other intellectual property rights to the descriptions, reviews and all other materials listed in the JED unless otherwise expressly indicated. You agree not to copy, reproduce, download, disseminate, publish or transfer content in any form or by any means without prior written permission from OSM. The only exception to this is that developers can use the JED API to copy and reuse their own listing pages, reviews, votes and content. Information may not be collected from the JED using automated means.
By contributing any type of content to the JED, the submitter is granting OSM a worldwide, irrevocable, royalty-free, non-exclusive and limited license to reproduce, edit, publish, translate, and distribute that content in any medium whatsoever. You represent and warrant that: (a) you are the author of the content and have the right to grant this license; and (b) the content or review does not infringe any patent, copyright, trademark, trade secret or other proprietary right of any other party.
- All extensions, listings and developer sites must comply with the latest version of the Joomla license.
- You must not violate or attempt to violate the security of the JED or interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper functioning of the JED, servers or networks.
- You must not post, upload, email, link to, or otherwise transmit any content that contains any viruses, harmful code, or other computer software or program that may damage or adversely affect the functionality of the JED or impair others’ ability to use the JED.
- You must not use the JED to send unsolicited emails.
- You must not impersonate any person or entity or misrepresent an affiliation with another person or entity.
- Only one account is allowed per person. Users found having multiple accounts will have all extra accounts deactivated.
Any person or company is welcome to submit extensions, tools or libraries for inclusion in the JED. There are some basic rules that all extensions must comply with to qualify for inclusion. Failure to comply may result in the removal of content. By submitting any form of content, you acknowledge these basic rules.
- Entries must be licensed as GPL in order to be listed. Additional restrictions may not be placed on top of the GPL. Please note that the GPL does allow developers to charge for their products.
- The listing name for the extension must be the same name as the XML install file.
- Promotional text should not be part of the listing name.
- Extension-specific listings should contain the parent extension name.
- Links cannot be shortened URLs.
- The file download link has to point straight to the download page, even if registration is required. Download links cannot point to a list of extensions.
- Extension demo site links should point to a page that clearly features the extension in a prominent position.
- Developers for non-commercial entries are welcome to host their project at JoomlaCode. Downloads cannot be hosted from torrent websites or shared file hosting websites such as RapidShare and MediaFire.
- The following will not be listed:
- Extension-specific listings for extensions not listed in the JED
- Anything that is not installable within Joomla
- All extensions must comply with the JED Submission Checklist. A listing that does not comply with the JED Submission checklist is subject to being unpublished immediately.
- Sites must state that the extension is licensed as GPL.
- Extension home and demo sites must not promote or engage in illegal activities or adult content.
- Sites may not imply in any way that inclusion in the JED constitutes endorsement by Joomla, the JED or OSM.
- Listings, reviews and any other JED content may not be used to promote derogatory or malicious messages.
- Derogatory and malicious messages include deliberate attempts to send messages about race, religion, age, gender and sexual orientation.
- You are solely responsible for all content submitted to the JED. Each developer is responsible for ensuring the accuracy of their listing and for keeping their listing up-to-date. The JED team and OSM reserve the right to remove any content that is out-of-date.
- Extension listings that infringe upon one or more of the criteria listed above will not be considered for inclusion in the JED. In such cases, the JED team may choose, but is not obligated, to inform the developer about why their submission was rejected.
- Listings that have been unpublished have a 14 day period to be corrected before being permanently removed.
- Inclusion in the JED is a privilege, not a right, and inclusion is at the sole discretion of the JED team and OSM. Any listing can be removed at any time without notice.
If a developer changes the listing from free to paid, all votes and reviews made before the change will be removed.
- A review may not contain:
- offensive language or dishonesty
- support questions or bug reports
- commercial disputes
- self-promotional content
- A review may not be made in exchange for any type of compensation.
- Extension developers may not review extensions that are considered direct competition.
- Employees that work for a company or individual extension developer may not review that extension.
- Acceptance of reviews and votes is at the sole discretion of the JED team and OSM.
- A review may not contain:
- 1st violation: the developer’s entire account and listings will be suspended (unpublished) for a minimum of one month.
- 2nd violation: the developer’s entire account and listings will be suspended (unpublished) for a minimum of three months.
- 3rd violation: the developer’s entire account and listings will be suspended (unpublished) indefinitely. After 12 months the developer may appeal the suspension. Appeals will be reviewed by the JED team with no guarantee that the suspension will be lifted.
See the support and dispute resolution document for more information. (this document is in progress)
Unless required by law, no personal information from JED members will be shared with third parties. OSM will divulge any information collected from developers when required to do so by law. In the event that OSM, or its assets, are acquired, your information will be one of the transferred assets.
The listings and reviews listed in the JED have been submitted by the community and are for general informational purposes only. Listings do not constitute or imply endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by Joomla or OSM.
Because the listings and reviews are provided by others, Joomla, OSM, and the JED team cannot be held liable for accuracy of the information. Visitors wishing to verify that the information is correct should contact the parties responsible for creating the content of the resource.
The information on this website is presented "as is" without warranty of any kind. OSM disclaims all warranties, whether express or implied, including the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or non-infringement. In no event shall OSM be liable for any damages whatsoever, including, without limitation, direct, special, indirect, consequential, or incidental damages, or damages for lost profits, loss of revenue or loss of use, arising out of your use of this site, even if OSM has been advised of the possibility of such damages.
Some jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion of certain warranties or limitations on liability. Accordingly, the above limitations may not apply to you. OSM and the JED team reserves the right at any time to modify, suspend or discontinue the JED (or any part thereof) with or without notice, and we are not liable to you or any third party for any modification, suspension or interruption in services.
Any dispute with respect to the JED shall be governed by the laws of the State of Maryland, excluding its conflicts of the laws and rules. All visitors to the JED submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the state and/or federal courts of the State of Maryland.
You can find additional information and help by visiting the JED Joomla Documentation. Any questions about these terms of service should be made in the Extensions Directory Forum or through a Support Ticket.
You can comment on the Terms of Service Draft #1 here.