Once again Joomla will be participating in the Google Summer of Code, and this year we have 8 excellent student projects that were accepted by Google on April 21, 2014. Congratulations to all the students that will be joining the Joomla Google Summer of Code project this year!
2014 Joomla project Google Summer of Code Students Accepted
With 39 applications submitted, it was a difficult task to narrow down the list of potential students to the final 8. Thanks to all of the Mentors and Joomla community members that helped us determine who got in. With the help of some great Joomla volunteers, we will have 2 Mentors for each student to help guide them through the process.
If you would like to keep up with the students as they progress, the Joomla Community Magazine has graciously dedicated a topic to the Google Summer of Code project again this year, and will publish blog posts of each student’s progress throughout the summer starting in May with 4 of our students.
Joomla Community Magazine Google Summer of Code Articles
What is Google Summer of Code?
Google Summer of Code is a program designed to encourage university student participation in open source software development.
Some quick facts about the Google Summer of Code program.
- GSoC gives students an opportunity to work on real-world software development projects.
- Encourages students to get involved in Open Source projects, bringing new developers into our ecosystem.
- Students gain new skills and make new contacts in the Open Source community.
- Allows students to work with mentors that can share experience and knowledge with them.
- Students who pass their midterm and final evaluations will be paid a stipend by Google for their work in Joomla. This year, the stipend has increased to $5500 USD for students.
Joomla and the Google Summer of Code 2014
We have set up a Google Mailing List that is open to the public, as well as a new section outlining this year’s Joomla GSoC on the Joomla Documentation website. Here’s some links for you to find out more.
Joomla GSoC 2014 Information
You can find out all the information you need and more on those pages. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask a question on the Mailing List and someone will be happy to help.