As a new element of the planning and budget process, each Joomla! leadership team (Production Leadership Team, Community Leadership Team, and Open Source Matters) has set major goals for 2011. This goal setting effort has the following benefits:
- Allows our project’s budget to be a more effective tool for supporting the project's planned priorities for the upcoming year.
- Allows each leadership team to better understand what the other leadership teams are planning to work on, which will improve inter-team collaboration and support.
- Allows the community to be aware of goals and priorities for the upcoming year, which will improve transparency and openness and enable increased support and volunteer contributions.
- Will make it easier to bring in more sponsorship contributions, due to prospective sponsors having a better understanding about what initiatives their contributions will be supporting.
The major 2011 goals for each Joomla! leadership team are listed below. The goals are all numbered for reference purposes (but not as an indication of priority). A bullet list of some tasks that are planned to be worked on in support of these goals during the course of the year are listed below each goal.
The Joomla! project is also pleased to publish its final 2011 budget.
2011 Production Leadership Team goals
PLT Goal #1: Develop four iterations of the Joomla Platform project.
- Develop Joomla Platform 11.1. Target release date is 10 April 2011.
- Develop Joomla Platform 11.2. Target release date is 10 July 2011.
- Develop Joomla Platform 11.3. Target release date is 10 October 2011.
- Develop Joomla Platform 11.4. Target release date is 10 January 2012.
PLT Goal #2: Develop two iterations of the Joomla CMS project
- Develop "Bowerbird". Target release date is 10 July 2011.
- Complete development of com_localise component.
- Complete development of Joomla-MediaWiki importer to support localised documentation.
- Develop the next CMS release. Target release date is 10 January 2012.
PLT Goal #3: Release updates to the current LTS release (Joomla 1.5) as required
- Releases to be made until 3 months after GA of the next LTS. Number, timing and nature of these releases will depend on circumstances.
PLT Goal #4: Outreach and promotion of Joomla to a technical audience.
- Promotion of Joomla at technical conferences and events, particularly in respect of the Joomla Platform.
- Outreach to new developers under a Joomla Student Outreach Program (JSOP).
2011 Community Leadership Team goals
CLT Goal #1: Communication/Interaction with the Community
- More consistency in meetings and publishing of meeting notes/minutes
- Increase CLT membership to ease individual workload as well as broaden representation within leadership and public facing (the community) Task: Assign a member to join the communications team with OSM and PLT
- Volunteer forms for each area of the CWG (JRD, JED, People, JCM, Forum)
- Volunteer recognition program: rewards, public mentions, badges
- More updates to the CWG channels (google group, people site, blogs) about things happening within the working group
CLT Goal #2: Joomla.org site maintenance, usability, effectiveness and improvements
- New joomla.org family site design: volunteer committee run design
- Phased upgrade to 1.6 (and beyond)
- Enhanced Directory Listings
- Single sign on/auto sign on
- Evaluate possible forum software alternatives such as Kunena
- Integrate User Notes for directory and people sites
- Website upkeep - eg. security, third party upgrades, recovery in the event of compromise
CLT Goal #3: Active participation in live events
- Have more CWG attendance at Joomla events (team members)
- More representation of CWG leadership at events
- Joint Leadership Summit
- Video and live steaming of events
2011 Open Source Matters Goals
OSM Goal #1: Increase revenue from sponsorships, shop, and website monetization opportunities
- a) Switch the shop over to spreadshirt.com b) create new souvenirs (key ring , Mug, etc...)
- Brainstorm & update sponsor opportunities/pages
- Increase publicity of new sponsors and sponsor opportunities
- Increase Google Ads revenue using prime locations
- Brainstorm & implement Joomla hosting page
- Try to add international team members to improve international sponsors.
OSM Goal #2: Solidify/stabilize the Trademark team
- Confirm (Acting) Trademark Team leader
- Document Trademark-application processes
- Document and simplify Trademark rules
- Recruit new Trademark Team members & involve more board members
- Implement new Ticketing software to better manage submissions and communications
- Use ProjectFork software to manage above internal tasks
- Clarify Trademark priorities
- Try to add international team members to translate process documents and follow up with international issues.
OSM Goal #3: Establish Joomla supporters club
- Brainstorm details
- Create requirements
- Fix firm dates for going live
- Confirm who is going to develop & costs
- Ongoing publicity & monthly promotions
- Ask for help to translate information to different languages.
OSM Goal #4: Simplification and documentation of our processes
- Document Treasurer responsibilities and processes (for normal duties as well as project-wide processes such as budget/planning, funding requests, and contractor engagements), and add to the Wiki
- Document processes for Events and add to the Wiki
- Document trademark processes and add to Wiki
- Organizing of OSM organizational documents
- Document travel process for leadership team members (Orbitz, etc.)
- Identify repository for international documentation.
OSM Goal #5: Improve support for Joomla events
- Build an events team
- Finding a long run strategy for events
- Defining the target groups for different event types
- Establish Joomla world conference
- Documentation sprints and developer conferences
- Create translations for documentation.
OSM Goal #6: Improve PR/Promotion efforts to raise positive global awareness about value of Joomla
- Raise awareness of Sponsorships
- Publicise Supporters Club
- Translate documents.