I definitely need to start this blog post by announcing that I am currently working on integrating revision control into the core content component in joomla 1.6! Andrew Eddie has expressed his interest a few weeks ago, and since then I'm trying to successfully integrate the current options/features of the 1.5 component into 1.6. Your feedback is vital for my work, so that joomla 1.6 will be a great experience for everyone.
However, 1.5 has not been forgotten. I have written this article a bit late, as I was waiting to solve most of the bugs I encountered and release a stable version of the Joomla 1.5 Version Control Component. I would like to kindly thank Allan Walker and Parth Lawate, my mentors, who helped a lot with the development of the project.
Status of 1.5 Component
As I have written initially in my SOC application when I have applied the features implemented to the 1.5 Component are the following (currently tested and stable):
* Component Frontend: through the frontend it is now possible do almost everything that an administrator can do regarding an article for which you have editing rights, except some article parameters. This includes(but not limited to) viewing, comparing and publishing revisions.
* HTML Compare: users with less experience in html will find this very helpful, accompanying very well the to!ggle editor button found on the frontend.
* Code Refactoring: the code is now MVC compliant, you can use independently each view with its own model. (it was refactored twice, after a discussion with Andrew Eddie regarding the future of this extension)
The current version is 0.1.1 and you can download everything you need from the joomlacode project. Any bugs can be easily reported through the tracker and I will fix them as soon as I get notified.
This release includes the following files: content plugin (enables revisions), system plugin (helps in the backend with draft mode option, which is now a selectable parameter for each article), editors-xtd plugin (enables the frontend control) and the component.
Status of 1.6 development (brief)
You can find everything you need to test the 1.6 component on the svn, right now, and in a couple of days (probably Monday or Tuesday) I will publish on joomlacode installable plugins and the modified com_content. Short brief about the development on 1.6:
* Plugins(content and system)
* Component using enhanced classes designed specially for 1.6
* Compare and merge functions
New features (planned with Allan & Parth):
* Concurrent editing (ajax powered, auto saving when draft mode is enabled)
* Revision delete and rotation (always store a fixed number of revisions)
* Branches view (follow all the "evolution lines" of a revision)
All these will be detailed in a future post (next week), when I will post installable files and a demo site for 1.6. There are some other features that I have extracted from whitepapers on the forum, but first I need to be on track with these, as I consider them more important. Please, in the meantime, help us with the testing of 1.5 component, as I am planning no more than 1 week of bug fixing.