First of all, I’d like to thank Joomla GSoC 2009 for giving me this great chance to get in touch with Joomla community, to contribute to its development and to work with my great mentors Ian MacLennan and Ray Tsai.

After reviewing the proposal and considering different integration ideas, I’d like to narrow down the scope of the project and focus solely on backend integration. The project will be named J! Mint = Joomla Magento integration.

Below are the project plan and timelines:

J! Mint

Versions:

• Joomla 1.6
  • Magento 1.3.1

A / Features supported in GSoC 2009, J!Mint v1.0

Backend Integration

1.       Single Sign-On

a.       Functions:

§  Allows users to log on/off only once on Joomla, and they are logged on/off Magento as well.

§  Both front-end and back-end

b.      Requirements: cURL, modification to mod_login, authentication plugin

c.       Challenges:

§  It’s not always the case a Joomla manager is also a manager on Magento. Things could get complicated as a customer on Magento could be a back-end manager on Joomla..

2.       Backend Template

a.       Functions:

§  Integrates Magento backend into Joomla backend.

§  Avoid users switching back and forth between two systems’ backends

§  Allows users to stay on Joomla and still have controls over Magento

b.      Requirements: cURL, Page Caching

c.       Challenges:

§  It’s not always the case a Joomla manager is also a manager on Magento. Things could get complicated as a customer on Magento could be a back-end manager on Joomla..

§  Different user levels on two systems will have access to different restricted backends. The template has to be designed wisely enough to take that into account.

§  This integration would be affected if Joomla 1.6 backend is going to be restructured in the future, but I believe the main structure has to remain the same.

§  On some level, it’s going to overlap Andrea Tarr’s project.

3.       User Synchronization and Management

a.       Functions:

§  Integrates Joomla 1.6 component Members and Magento Customers / Admin management.

§  Gives users single convenient management over users of both systems.

b.      Requirements: Magento SOAP, write new Magento API

c.      Challenges:

§  Joomla 1.6 Members component is still on Beta phase.

B/ Features in the future:

Frontend Integration

4.       Magento Product Show in Joomla

5.       Magento Shopping Cart, Catalog in Joomla

6.       Integrated Search in Joomla

7.       …

The reason I pick the backend integration to implement first is because it’s the essential part of the integration, and it’s more challenging than frontend integration.

Competitors:

As some of you may know, J! Mint will now have a big competitor MageBridge fromJira.

They also coincidently plan to release their Beta version in August and Stable 1.0 version in Sep 2009. This competition would make me try even harder. Let’s wait and see.

And finally, I'd definitely love to hear more ideas about the integration from you.