Updated May 22, 2009.

Versions:

• Magento 1.3.1
  • Joomla 1.6

Features Supported:

No

Features

Single Sign-On

-          Allows users to log on or off two systems at the same time.

User Synchronization

-          Synchronize the logins of users of two systems.

-          Support Joomla 1.6.

Back-end Template

-          Put Magento and Joomla back-ends together in a common Joomla template.

User Management

-          Manage users on both Joomla and Magento

-          Support Joomla 1.6.

Project Milestones from May 13 – August 24

From

-

To

Tasks

Days

May 13

-

May 15

Single Sign-On

-          Front end

-          Back-end

May 16

June 1

Out-of-town

June 3

-

June 9

Single Sign-On

June 10

June 14

Testing & Documenting

June 15

-

June 29

Back-end Template

-          Write own Magento core API

June 30

July 6

Testing & Documenting

July 7

-

July 14

User Synchronization

July 15

July 19

Testing & Documenting

July 20

-

Aug 3

User Management

Aug 4

Aug 11

Testing & Documenting

Aug 12

Aug 18

Finalizing

First of all, I’d like to thank Joomla GSoC 2009 for giving me this great chance to get in touch with Joomla community, to contribute to its development and to work with my great mentors Ian MacLennan and Ray Tsai.

After reviewing the proposal and considering different integration ideas, I’d like to narrow down the scope of the project and focus solely on backend integration. The project will be named J! Mint = Joomla Magento integration.

Below are the project plan and timelines:

J! Mint

Versions:

• Joomla 1.6
  • Magento 1.3.1

A / Features supported in GSoC 2009, J!Mint v1.0

Backend Integration

1.       Single Sign-On

a.       Functions:

§  Allows users to log on/off only once on Joomla, and they are logged on/off Magento as well.

§  Both front-end and back-end

b.      Requirements: cURL, modification to mod_login, authentication plugin

c.       Challenges:

§  It’s not always the case a Joomla manager is also a manager on Magento. Things could get complicated as a customer on Magento could be a back-end manager on Joomla..

2.       Backend Template

a.       Functions:

§  Integrates Magento backend into Joomla backend.

§  Avoid users switching back and forth between two systems’ backends

§  Allows users to stay on Joomla and still have controls over Magento

b.      Requirements: cURL, Page Caching

c.       Challenges:

§  It’s not always the case a Joomla manager is also a manager on Magento. Things could get complicated as a customer on Magento could be a back-end manager on Joomla..

§  Different user levels on two systems will have access to different restricted backends. The template has to be designed wisely enough to take that into account.

§  This integration would be affected if Joomla 1.6 backend is going to be restructured in the future, but I believe the main structure has to remain the same.

§  On some level, it’s going to overlap Andrea Tarr’s project.

3.       User Synchronization and Management

a.       Functions:

§  Integrates Joomla 1.6 component Members and Magento Customers / Admin management.

§  Gives users single convenient management over users of both systems.

b.      Requirements: Magento SOAP, write new Magento API

c.      Challenges:

§  Joomla 1.6 Members component is still on Beta phase.

B/ Features in the future:

Frontend Integration

4.       Magento Product Show in Joomla

5.       Magento Shopping Cart, Catalog in Joomla

6.       Integrated Search in Joomla

7.       …

The reason I pick the backend integration to implement first is because it’s the essential part of the integration, and it’s more challenging than frontend integration.

Competitors:

As some of you may know, J! Mint will now have a big competitor MageBridge fromJira.

They also coincidently plan to release their Beta version in August and Stable 1.0 version in Sep 2009. This competition would make me try even harder. Let’s wait and see.

And finally, I'd definitely love to hear more ideas about the integration from you.

Joomla GSOC 2009 Student Ahn NguyenMy name is Anh Nguyen. I’m an international student, from Vietnam, at the University of Texas in El Paso, TX.  I’ve just been here in US for 3 months for my PhD in CS.  I love to travel around and learn new things, especially web stuff.

The project I’m committed to in GSoC 2009 is Magento Joomla Integration.  After a while experiencing these two award-winning open source systems, an awesome CMS and a #1 e-Commerce platform, I decided to contribute to an ultimate integration solution between the duo. The integration would focus mainly on the backend and include the features such as: user synchronization and management, single sign-on, product show on Joomla, and a common back-end template. I hope this solution would bring Magento and Joomla even closer to each other so that the concurrent management of the two systems would be simpler than ever !

Latest Blogs on Anh's Project

Anh's Project Links