Joomla at Google Summer of Code Summit 2019

GSoC (Google Summer of Code) is an annual international program created by Google to bring more students to open-source software development. Students work with the open-source organization for three months while meeting the deadlines agreed upon with their mentors, and students receive a considerable stipend depending upon the country. Follow this link to learn more.

I was a GSoC 2018 student in the Joomla organization.
Joomla! is a free and open-source content management system (CMS) for publishing web content.
It was an excellent learning experience for me to open-source software development. I will encourage you to apply for Joomla GSoC. Follow this link to learn more.

I got the opportunity to become one of the Joomla mentors for GSoC 2019. At the end of the program, I got the chance to be one of 2 mentors, with Shivam Rajput, to represent Joomla at the GSoC Summit in Munich, Germany. Thanks to Joomla GSoC team!

Let's talk about the journey to Munich, Germany from India.
I was super excited because it was my first time outside India and my first-ever conference.

October 16: Landed one day before the event at Munich airport

We landed one day before the event around 5:20 AM. It's too cold! We waited for our bus at 6:20 AM then arrived at Hotel Marriott Munich around at 8:00 AM, got our rooms around noon after very much struggle :P. Then we spend our free time to roam around the hotel area.

The first photo I took in Munich:

image13

On this day, I met for the first time my Joomla GSoC admin, Puneet Kala. He was already in Munich for his work.

image2

Then, the three of us (Puneet, Shivam, and I) planned to roam the city. We took the day pass of the metro and visited many places like Marienplatz, Downtown. Wee went back at 8:00 PM, very tired, due to the jet lag. The only thing we wanted was to sleep!

image10image4image7

Good Night!

October 17: Event at Munich Marriott Hotel

Mentors arrived at the Hotel on this day. Our registration opened around 11:00 AM. We did our record and got some great goodies, our ID card, a day ticket for public transport, and T-Shirts.

During this first day, everyone tried to meet other mentors from different organizations. There were no such essential event on this day, so my new friends and I decided to roam around more places and historical places like the Olympiapark, BMW showroom, etc. I learned how to find a correct mentor to any destination without the internet.

image5 image9

We went back before 6:00 PM to the hotel as the Opening Dinner Reception was about to start (6:00 PM to 8:00 PM,) and from 8:00 PM to 11:00 PM it was time for the opening announcements, desserts and drinks. We really enjoyed this event and got the chance to speak to other mentors from a different organization, their experience with the students, and of course about Joomla.
After lengthy discussions, we went to sleep.

Good Night!

October 18: Event at Munich Marriott Hotel

We ate our breakfast around 9:00 AM. Then we collected some food for the Scavenger hunt. Made our team of 8 members for this event. The name of our team is Ruby. We started around 12:30 PM, and needed to complete our tasks before 4:30 PM. Each task answer was hidden in Munich city.
It was an enjoyable activity to do with groups, met new people, and we visited more places to complete the tasks.

After that, we went back to the hotel, around 6:30 PM for the dinner reception, dessert, drinks, and games.

I enjoyed the whole day.

October 19: Event at Munich Marriott Hotel

Same as the day before, I had my breakfast around 9:00 AM, then attended the Opening Session reminders and announcements, from 9:00 AM to 9:30 AM.
I attended the lightning Talks from 9:30 AM to 1:00 PM. I learned many new things.

image12image16
image8

1:00 PM to 2:00 PM, we had lunch at fresh fields, a champions bar. Followed by the group picture at 3:40 PM with all mentors. Finaly, we had dinner from 6:30 PM to 8:30 PM.

image14

After the group picture, Shivam and I went for the Olympic Park visit. We visited the Olympic tower from which we can see the beautiful city.

image3 image6

At last, we attended the Social Event (9:30 PM to 11:00 PM).

Again, a beautiful day.

October, 20: Event at Munich Marriott Hotel

It was the last day, everyone packed their bags for checkout. I said goodbye to my new friends met during the GSoC Summit and we attended the closing session from 3:30 PM to 4:15 PM.
After that, Puneet, Shivam and I shifted to another hotel near to Munich Marriott Hotel, where we met Yves Hoppe. I met him for the first time.

image11image1
image15

We went for dinner with Yves in a Mexican restaurant. We enjoyed the evening, as it was our last one in Munich. The next day we had to fly back to India. I didn't want to leave Munich, it’s such a beautiful city!

A big thank you to the Google Summer of Code Team for such a great summit.

Thanks for reading.