Recently, we held elections for individuals who will lead each Department within Joomla. The results of the elections were announced in the following blog post: https://community.joomla.org/blogs/leadership/3097-joomla-department-coordinator-election-results.html
The time has come to open the floor for nominations for the following 4 Joomla! Officer positions:
- Vice President
The Officers sit on the Board of Directors and are represented in the image below as the four icons on the right side of the top row.
The voting process to elect Officers is a little more complicated than voting for Team Leads or even Department Coordinator Team Leads.
According to Section 6.02.E of the updated By-laws of Open Source Matters, Inc. adopted on October 20, 2016:
The votes for each Officer shall be counted both by Department, such that the Team Leaders and Department Coordinators of each Department shall cast cumulatively by Department only one vote for each Officer, and by Officer, such that each Officer shall cast one vote for each Officer. The votes within each Department by the Team Leaders and the Department Coordinators shall be tallied by majority vote.
While the By-laws give a few examples of this, I will attempt to clarify:
- Each Department will cast one (1) vote for each Officer position. That single department vote is based on a majority of votes from the Department Coordinator and Team Leads within that department.
- Each existing officer is allowed to cast one (1) vote for other officer positions that are up for election.
- Note: Initially, there will be no Officers, so at Transition only Departments will be voting.
- Correction: Existing officers WILL be voting in the election for new officers as stated in the Bylaws.
It is a good idea for all nominees to familiarize themselves with the Bylaws especially the sections relating to the Officer roles:
A personal note from our current President of Open Source Matters, Sarah Watz:
I have been honored to serve you in the Joomla! Community as the President of Open Source Matters, Inc. since April 2014. And as a board member since October 2012. Since Open Source Matters was founded we had had several Presidents and that is one of our strengths as an organization. That we bring in new leaders to our leadership positions. Being one of the initiative takes to the new structure I am certain that the members will utilize their voting rights to nominate and elect leaders that are not just known and liked by the community but more importantly will bring well needed value to the project in their leadership role. I have had an amazing and sometimes challenging experience during my years in the Joomla! leadership. I have decided not to run for the President role for this upcoming election. I would like to take this opportunity to thank each and every one of you for everything you bring to the project. You are awesome!
- Deadline for Nominations: 13th of February 2017 at 23:59 GMT.
- Nominees informed: 14th of February by 22:00 GMT
- Deadline for acceptance: 20th February 2017 at 23:59 GMT
(Nominees who have not responded by this time will be presumed to be not interested in the position and removed from the ballot)
- Ballots issued: By the 21st of February by 22:00 GMT
(Via a Google Form to Team Leads and Department Coordinator Team Leaders to cast votes for each officer position. If all nominees accept prior to the closing date, this may be brought forward.)
- Voting Closes: At 23:59 GMT 7 days after Ballots issued - Latest 28th February 2017 at 23:59 GMT.
(Transition Team will tally up each Departments’ votes as outlined in Section6.02.E of the Bylaws (excerpt above). If a Team Lead or Department Coordinator has not voted by this time, their vote will be classed as an abstention.}
- Results Published: 2 days after voting closed - Latest 2nd March 2017 at 22:00 GMT
There is no reason that someone who was nominated or elected for Team Leader or Department Coordinator cannot also be nominated to serve as an Officer. In the case where someone is elected to an Officer position and they already hold another leadership position, their other role will be back-filled.
Have Questions? Ask in our forum topic: https://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=704&t=946560
Thank you to everyone involved in this great community.
TJ Baker & Ken Crowder
Joomla! Transition Team