The Joomla! Project and the Production Leadership Team are proud to announce the release of Joomla! 3.6 as the latest in the 3.x series.
This new release features over 400 improvements to the popular CMS, including many features which make administration of Joomla! Web sites easier and more feature-rich, as well as many UX (user experience) improvements.
The UX improvements include time-saving features like helping you find your modules faster, and improved user management. You can now also identify and resolve menu problems with the new ability to view all items from all menus. Creating content on Joomla! is now easier. You no longer need to remember to create your categories first thanks to the new feature allowing category entry on the fly. And you can now have better control of who sees what on the backend administrator area with the new Menu Type ACL features.
Joomla! 3 is the latest major release of the Joomla! CMS, with 3.6 the seventh standard-term support release in this series. Please note that going from 3.5 to 3.6 is a one-click upgrade and is not a migration. The same is true for any subsequent versions in the 3 series of the CMS.
In addition to the features mentioned above, other highlights of the 3.6 release include:
- Delete all cache entries in one click
- More extension details displayed in Systeminfo
- New override for the Site Offline page in the default Protostar template
- Ability to edit SASS and SCSS files directly in the Joomla! Template manager
- Easier template development with deeper Jlayout integration
- New positioning settings for Bootstrap tooltips
- Improved user validation performance
- Ability to easily use multi-language Terms of Service (ToS)
- New location of log file to prevent server problems with some hosting configurations
- Reverse caching support
- Updated version of the CodeMirror editor
- New “Showon” option for fieldsets in component configuration to allow fields to display based on values in other fields
- jQuery updated to the latest version
- Delete and rebuild Extension Update Sites
- Allow stream connections to support proxies
- htaccess authentication for calls
To view a full list of the features please visit our 3.6 site.
Note: Please read the general update instructions before updating or the specific 3.5 to 3.6 update instructions. Please remember to clear your browser's cache after upgrading. If you find a bug in Joomla! Please report it on the Joomla! Issue Tracker.
A Huge Thank You to Our Volunteers!
A big thank you goes out to everyone that contributed to the 3.6 release! Over 1,659 commits have been made since Joomla! 3.5.1 was released April 5, 2016. Find a list of developers here. Next to the developers a huge thank you also to the imagery team and the 3.6 site team! You can find their names also on the Thank You page.
Spread the Joomla! Love
Are you looking for the official imagery for your blogpost, a banner on your site or an image to share on social media? You can find them all here.