Joomla! Community & Leadership Blogs
Joomla! User Groups (JUGs) beat at the heart of the Joomla! project, providing a regular opportunity for members of the community to come together, share their knowledge, learn, and meet others from their local area.
There are Joomla! User Groups around the world, all of which are run by volunteers. A team of volunteers also makes up the Joomla! User Group Team, who are responsible for approving JUG applications, supporting new User Groups during the application process, in the early days when the JUG is getting started and dealing with any issues which may arise in relation to Joomla! User Groups.
- Written by Ruth Cheesley
Open Source Matters, Inc. ("Open Source Matters" or "OSM") is planning to extend the options for use of a demo site on https://demo.joomla.org as well as offer a new free hosting option. The contract with the current Joomla demo vendor is expiring soon and OSM has determined that in the interest of fairness and equality, other vendors should also have the opportunity to submit proposals for the following request for proposals.
Open Source Matters is requesting proposals for TWO different options that may be offered to new potential Joomla CMS users.
Interested web hosting companies can find information and detailed requirements for the two requests for proposals can be found here: OSM Request For Proposals Demo Site July 2013
Any updates to the RFP will be listed below with our changelog.
Version 1.1 (updated August 13, 2013)
Updated an incorrect 12 month average for the number of demo site signups for the months of July 2012 - June 2013.
Tomorrow (Friday, July 12th) is the gobal Pizza, Bugs, and Fun event. It's an all-day, in every time zone, global event that's open to all virtual participants that are interested. There will also be local venues wherever they are organized, as well as a virtual training session today at 15:00 UTC. The key goal is to fix as many Joomla 3 and Joomla 2.5 bugs as possible. Read on for more information.
With the upcoming departure of Thomas Hampton who has served on the board of OSM as Treasurer for the past year, nominations are now open for this position.
Any member of the Joomla community at large is free to submit a nomination for him/herself, or for another community member.
Nominees should be motivated to serve the project in this role, and be able to devote 2-3 hours a week to the job.
The position of Treasurer is described as follows:
The Treasurer is the officer assigned the primary responsibility of overseeing the management and reporting of an organization’s finances. The Treasurer has many important duties specific to its role, including:
- is a member of the Board
- is a member of the Executive Committee
- manages the finances of the organization
- attends monthly board meetings
- administers fiscal matters of the organization
- leads the overall budget process by coordinating work between all teams and preparing a consolidated budget for board review and approval
- ensures development and board review of financial policies and procedures
- maintains the bank accounts and interfaces with the accountants
- reports regularly to the board on key financial events, trends, concerns, and assessment of fiscal health, in addition to completing required financial reporting forms in a timely fashion and making these forms available to the board.
- Experience and Expertise: It is important that nominees have demonstrated skills in the areas of accounting, bookkeeping or financial work.
- Community: the nominee should have a strong track-record of successfully collaborating with, enabling others and earning the respect of the Joomla! community.
- Character: the nominee should have proven themselves a person of high character, with a history of acting honestly, fairly and openly when in leadership roles.
- Success: the nominee should be able to point to a history of success and leaving previous roles in a better state than when they arrived.
- Location: Because OSM is a US based non-profit corporation, is subject to US tax laws, maintains it's bank accounts in the US, and receives its physical mail in the US, nominees who are either US based or familiar with US tax laws are especially encouraged to apply.
Close of nominations:
The nomination period for this position will be open for 2 weeks, closing on July 16.
- Written by Alice Grevet
I have been on the Production Leadership Team for two years plus a year before that on the board of Open Source Matters. My term on the PLT is up this month and I have not asked for it to be renewed for another year. Much as I enjoy working with everyone on the project, this is the right time for me to step aside from the leadership teams.