2008-09 Joomla! Community Magazine
Joomla! Community Magazine - Project
Introducing JSST: The Joomla! Security Strike Team
Joomla! is serious about security.
Security issues are an unfortunate fact of life for any online application.
The Joomla! team has always worked to aggressively defend against potential security breaches. Joomla 1.5 has deeply integrated defences against a variety of common attack vectors, such as SQL injection. Still, every complex application has the potential for vulnerabilities, and Joomla is no exception.
Last month, we experienced a worst-case scenario: an easily exploited critical vulnerability was made public before the Joomla team was made aware of it. Even though the team leaped into immediate action and issued a fix in record time, a lot of sites were affected.
In the wake of this crisis, we asked “what can we do better?” The answer is the Joomla Security Strike Team (JSST). The JSST is now the single focus point for Joomla security issues. The key responsibilities of the team are to:
- Provide a single, highly visible place for reporting potential security issues, the Security Center.
- Investigate and respond to core vulnerability reports.
- Release information on verified issues in the most timely and responsible way possible.
- Provide a reliable and highly available source of information for people writing about Joomla security.
- Clearly define security threat levels and how the team will respond to them.
- Help the community understand Joomla security and how to manage risk.
How to Help
- Report suspected vulnerabilities to the Joomla! Security Team first.
- Subscribe to the Security Center RSS feed
The JSST is taking a more proactive role to core security. Drawing on both developers and outside security experts, JSST will be performing code reviews and developing automated tests with the intent of detecting and eliminating vulnerabilities well before release.
There is no way to guarantee that Joomla can defend against any attack, but the JSST is on the job and working hard to get as close to that goal as possible!