Article Index
Building Websites with Joomla! 1.5.x
Building The Site
Essential Extensions
Other Extensions
Conclusion
All Pages

Conclusion

Setting up my first two serious websites involved a big learning curve which took quite a while to ride, and I had a lot of little teething problems to resolve. Joomla! core functionality lacks some important features you need to build a serious website which makes it feel a little toy-ish and I had to play around an awful lot to get everything working optimally. But I got there by adding extensions and it was much quicker on my second site once I already knew what to do. Perhaps this is the inevitable result of the complexity and rapid rate of progress on the web. I really can't say whether any other CMS is better since I've never actually built a real website with anything else. Now that my sites are running though, I can say that Joomla! works, and I'm very happy with it.

Credits

I want to thank the following people for their feedback and assistance with various sections of this article: Thomas Allin, Ryan Demmer, Yannick Gaultier, David from JoomlaSpan, Nikhil Parachure, Andy Sikumbang, P.J. Swesey, Yuri Volkov.

Biography

Graham Stoney is an ex-Computer/Embedded Systems/Biomedical Engineer who decided there had to be more to life and gave it all up to work in the Personal Development industry. He is now a Life Coach, teaching people how to have a great life by changing their mindset and challenging their self-limiting beliefs. He still sets up his own websites, and can be reached via GrahamStoney.com.