The Joomla! Community Portal ™

Community Blog





Editor's Picks: The NEW wave
Written by Toni Marie   
Sunday, 13 July 2008 19:34

Users of the JED may have noticed that the Editor's Picks haven't been changed in a while.  When the JED Editor staff was expanded this Spring, one of the changes we wanted to make was to revitalize that section. 

There are certain extensions we just won't develop a site without. Our favorite photo gallery, admin tool, menu system, etc. We want to recognize the developers of those extensions for their contribution to the community.  So many wonderful extensions have been released since the list was last worked on... it's definitely time to breathe new life into the picks.

I personally was a little discouraged when we added our first new pick (JTS--Joomla Tools Suite by Russ Winter) and it didn't get much notice.  The JED itself has grown so much that the featured extensions block where we announce picks is quite a ways down the page.  The number of categories has probably quadrupled since that layout was chosen.

With the advent of the new JED Editors blog, I'm hoping the extensions we choose to highlight will get noticed a bit more. 

Criteria for becoming an Editor's Pick

What will the picks have in common?  They'll be GPL-compatible, Joomla! 1.5 Native, and judged by the editors as one of the top extensions in their niche.  We'll take a lot of factors into account, like how frequently the code is improved and how active the support forum is... but the most important factor will be overall quality.

Expect the newest Editor's Pick to come out very shortly.  I'm so pleased we'll be able to actually outline why we've picked that extension in a platform like this blog.

Stay tuned...







1.5.4 Duplicate Titles
Written by Anthony Ferrara   
Thursday, 10 July 2008 13:32

Many community members have pointed out an error in 1.5.4 with duplicate titles. This issue affects both content and contact views (article layout, and contact detail layout to be specific). We are aware of the problem and are working on a clean, simple way to rectify it. The plan is to fix this issue and release 1.5.5 in the coming weeks. Until then, you can use a layout override in the template to bypass the issue.






Sites and Infrastructure Workgroup Welcomes 5 New Forum Moderators
Written by Wendy Robinson   
Wednesday, 09 July 2008 04:59

Our community is growing! 

This past week we not only saw our 200,000th member sign up, but also we were joined by five new forum moderators. 

It is my pleasure to announce and welcome the addition of:

Kasper to the Danish forum who came highly recommended by long time Danish forum moderator, Simon ,  and Emerson to the Portuguese forum on recommendation of Ronildo who recently stepped down from the Mod team to pursue other endeavours in the Joomla!Sphere.   Thank you Ronildo for your time spent volunteering on the Forum Workgroup! 

As well, we are joined by Sherif and Yasser.  These two fellows will be helping out in the Arabic forum.  They were hand picked by fellow Arabic forum moderators, Eyad and Ahmad

Most recently Laurelle came on board to help out in the 1.5.x and 1.0.x support boards on the General Support Moderators group.  I had the pleasure to meet Laurelle in Vancouver at Joomla!Day on June 14.  She has been quite active in the support forums lately answering user questions and offering her experience to the community. 

A huge thanks to all of you for joining us as moderators!  I know you will make great additions to our team. 






200 000 Members On Our Forum
Written by Brad Baker   
Tuesday, 08 July 2008 21:48

We did it!
Today our 200 000th member joined the forum. It's just another milestone, and doesn't tell the whole story. Suffice to say though, it is a reflection on how popular Joomla! is.

As a side note, all members of our forum who register and do not activate their account within 2 weeks are removed from our database. So unlike other sites, our membership figures are accurate in that sense. We also don't allow duplicate accounts.


PS Have you seen the excellent tutorials that have started up here: ? I am sure someone else will blog about them soon enough to give them some more publicity. 






Help screens SQL dump file now available
Written by Chris Davenport   
Monday, 07 July 2008 15:41

The Documentation Working Group is pleased to announce the availability of the recently completed Joomla! 1.5 help screens in the form of an SQL dump of the live help screens hosted on  The file is available here:

With this file you can quickly and easily set up a local help server to

  • Serve help screens from a server on your local intranet instead of
  • Customise the appearance of the help screens, for example, by adding a corporate logo or using a template that matches your own site style.
  • Use the English help screens as a starting point for a translation of the help screens into another language.

Please read the instructions for setting up a local help server.

The Joomla! 1.5 help screens and the SQL dump file are made available under the terms of the Joomla! Electronic Documentation License.


Page 130 of 137