The Joomla! feature tracker is on fire and filled with awesome new features that might well tip the scale in the open source CMS market.
In true Joomla - all together - spirit everyone has been contributing to make our CMS even better and friendlier for first-time, intermediate, advanced and expert users.
As of yesterday, the joomlacode.org project area has 70 new features marked as ‘Ready for review’ or ‘Pending’. There are some very high potential features that will surely change the way people see and use Joomla.
The new features that are in the pipeline target many different perspectives as they address user interface improvements, missing enterprise functionality and new possibilities for third party extensions.
The following is just a randomly ordered short list of what may be considered as major potential new features that may be included - if you help the process - in the next Joomla 3.2 release:
- Content versioning for Joomla articles and article categories addresses a very important and popular feature request as it lets you store and retrieve different versions of your Joomla articles.
Relevant tracker item: 30944
Relevant content: video preview
- JUX team improvement features strive to provide a better user-experience for beginners and advanced users in the administration area thanks to a simpler, cleaner and more focused layout, which highlights important settings and controls and removes clutter.
Relevant tracker items: 31858, 31859, 31860, 31863, 31864
Relevant content: JUX site, video preview
- Joomla! "app store" - help us find a better name - that allows users to search for and install extensions directly from the administrator interface.
Relevant content: Joomla Apps Architecture and UX Design (Google doc), App Store Study Group, video preview
- Improved template manager (GSoC 2013) with built-in file manager and editor lets administrators manage, clone and modify their Joomla themes from the administration panel.
Relevant tracker item: 31266
Relevant content: video preview
- Rapid Application Framework (Joomla! RAD) is a development layer that makes Joomla extension development easier and faster.
Relevant tracker item: 31844
Relevant content: Joomla! RAD Requirements (Google doc)
- Two factor authentication for Joomla
Relevant tracker item: 31704
Relevant content: Two factor authentication testing instructions (pdf file)
- Ajax interface for Joomla
Relevant tracker item: 31800
Relevant content: Joomla Ajax Interface (Google group discussion)
This is only a small subset of new features earmarked for inclusion in Joomla 3.2. You can see all features on the Joomla Features Tracker and make your own short list!
Are you excited? How can I help, you ask?
Join the Joomla! Bug Squad (JBS) and help the testing process. There is a great new tool to help you test new pull requests. To test a feature, just download the patchtester component and test immediately any feature directly from the latest corresponding github version for the corresponding pull-request !
Once done testing, simply reply to the tracker item (registration on joomlacode.code required) and reply with your tests in details, preceeded by a @test success or failed line! Each feature request needs at least 2 successful tests (the more the better) to be included. So you can make a big difference now for 3.2 with only a small time investment.
If you are a Joomla user and rely on Joomla for your websites, then help yourself now by testing today features and code that you will be using tomorrow. The more we test, the more new quality features will get into Joomla 3.2.
Please discuss this blog here: http://forum.joomla.org/posting.php?mode=post&f=704